Join us for the 28th annual Business Achievement Awards, Thursday October 17th at the deCoste Performing Arts Centre in Pictou. Tickets are $90.00 per person (plus hst). To register for tickets: TICKETS
Catering is once again being done by J. Conway Catering.
We will be recognizing business excellence is 12 categories:
- Large Business – Sponsored by the Municipality of Pictou County – This recognition award is presented to a large business that is a significant contributor to the Pictou County economy. The award recognizes this business as a key employer which has shown consistent growth and good management and has been willing to take strategic business risks to remain a stable and sustainable enterprise.
- Small Business – Sponsored by Michelin – This recognition award is presented to a small business that has demonstrated an ability to remain viable and to grow despite the challenges faced by smaller businesses in our economy. This business is known for innovative thinking and good customer service.
- Barrie MacMillan Entrepreneur of the Year – Sponsored by Grant Thornton– This recognition award is presented to a business person or persons whom have created and grown a successful local business enterprise based on a willingness to take risk, to continue to build on every success and demonstrated good management practices. The award is named in honour of Barrie MacMillan, long time Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce.
- Business Engagement – Sponsored by Northern Pulp – Consistent with the challenges put forward in the provincial “Now or Never ‘Ivany’ Report”, this recognition award reflects the willingness of members of the business sector or community at large to move out of their comfort zone and take positive action to move the economy forward in a unique or unexpected way.
- Leadership in Business – Sponsored by Mac, Mac & Mac – This recognition award is presented to a business that is a leader in its sector and a significant contributor to a stable local economy. This business strives to be the best in class in all that it does from employee relations and customer service to exceptional financial results.
- New Business – Sponsored by NOBL -This recognition award encourages new businesses with great potential, to stay the course, with the support of the overall business community. It recognizes the effort it takes to meet the challenges and overcome the difficulties of the first three years of operation for any new enterprise.
- Community Partners – Sponsored by Sobeys – This recognition award is presented to an organization or business that has actively partnered with the Chamber of Commerce to make Pictou County a better place to live and work. It celebrates the belief that we can prosper if we can encourage a culture of collaboration within our communities.
- Export Achievement – Sponsored by NSBI – This recognition award is presented to a local business that has entered into the export market to sell goods and or services. It recognizes the vital importance of exporters to the growth of the Nova Scotia economy.
- Special Recognition– Sponsored by RBC – This recognition award is presented to a true champion and leader in our community. It is presented to an individual or organization that has made a special contribution to the Chamber, to our economy and to our community.
- Women in Business– Sponsored by Centre for Women in Business – This award recognizes some of the unique challenges faced by women in business, either as business owners or within organizations. The award celebrates women who have been successful on the business front while contributing to community improvement and striving for a successful work/life balance.
- Diversity in Business– Sponsored by Nova Scotia Works- Career Connections– This award recognizes modern workforce demographics where inclusion policies and practices are essential to attracting and retaining an engaged and innovative workforce, focused on the success and growth of the business. The award recognizes employers who have made significant progress in making their workplaces inclusive, respectful and attractive to a diverse group of employees.
- Lifetime Achievement– Sponsored by Advocate– This award is presented to an individual in our community who has demonstrated long term success as an entrepreneur and business leader with a commitment to community service over the many years of a successful career. Essentially, this individual, through a keen sense of business management and a dedication to community improvement has helped create a better place for all of us to live and work in the years to come. *This is not an annual award, and is only presented when exceptional candidates emerge among us.